Just judging by the trailers Batman v Superman is a loaded film. Many characters are introduced along with many subplots that form one story arc. If you’re going into this film without any knowledge base you may be jarred and confused. Even if you are a hardcore fan like me it can still be a little hard to follow and some extra preparation is necessary to follow everything depicted in the movie. Depending on your “fan” level I’ve broken this guide down into three categories to prepare for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Alright let’s say you’re new to comic book movies. You’ve heard of Batman, Superman, maybe Wonder Woman, but you have no idea who they are or what their origin story is. Or possibly you’ve seen a Superman movie or even a Batman movie but its been a while and you need a refresher. Below I have compiled a list of short videos for you to be watch so you’re up to speed on who’s who.
The film also features a few extra characters you may be wondering about. Don’t worry. No spoilers yet.
The Mild Fan
If you’re a mild fan of superhero movies you may want to do a little extra preparation before you see the new movie. Here are my top three suggestions.
- Watch or re-watch Man of Steel: Batman v Superman takes place in the same universe as Zack Snyder’s 2013 film Man of Steel. In fact, the first half of this film deals with essentially the last half of Man of Steel. You even see a bit of it from Bruce Wayne’s perspective. If you haven’t seen Man of Steel in a while (or at all) then you might want to give it a watch so you’re not scratching your head wondering what’s going on.
- Watch Tim Burton’s 1989 Batman: This movie is on the prep list because I want you to get used to a darker Batman, one who kills and uses guns. Sorry to break it to you, but this is not Nolan’s moral Batman. This guy is a hardcore, jaded, superhero who’s not taking anyone’s crap. Burton’s film shows a darker Batman who really doesn’t have any rules. So if you want to get into a dark Batman mindset then don’t watch Nolan’s films but watch Burton’s.
- Watch the animated 2007 Superman: Doomsday (OPTIONAL): If you don’t know that Doomsday is in this film then you have really stayed off the internet (or at least the portion that talks about BvS). I even found out Doomsday is in this film without even seeing the “third” trailer (which I don’t recommend watching by the way). If you want to be surprised in the end (I mean really surprised) then don’t watch this, but if you’ve already got some knowledge of important published Superman comic books then go ahead and watch this.
The Hardcore Fan
If you’re a hardcore fan like me then you’ve seen all the Batman and Superman movies (except the cruddy ones) then you will definitely want to do extra prep that you may not know about.
- Watch Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox– I’m not going to say anymore than that. Once you see Batman v Superman you’ll know what I’m talking about. If not, then find out here.
- Watch Justice League: War– This film will really help you in a particularly confusing sequence.
Both of the films listed above are on Netflix for streaming.
Well there you have it. Now you are ready to see Batman v Superman whether you’re a newbie to superhero movies, you’re a mild fan, or you’re hardcore and want to go the extra mile so you can pick up on all the extra tid bits. Have I missed something? Should there be a little more preparation included? Comment below so I can know!